Mix fine metal powder and binder to make feedstock. Then inject the feedstock into a mold cavity to form the metal part.
Recently, products such as information equipments, electronic and medical devices have been downsizing with technical advances, and those parts for such devices are becoming more and more complicated, requiring higher accuracy.CASTEM has predicted this trend and developed MIM technology in house, and received U.S. patent in 1991. Since then, we've been pursuing the potential of MIM, manufacturing various parts that can only be made by MIM. We keep focusing on the improvement of our technology to satisfy the increasing demand.
Density is more than 95%, and the mechanical strength is high with independent spherical pores.
Density is approximately 88%, and the mechanical strength is inferior with many pores existing in the grain boundary.
MIM products have the same level of torsional and bending strength as welding products.
(Picture : SUS304 parts)
Lot Size, Materials
- Lot We are capable of handling small to large lot size orders, from 10pieces to more than 10,000pieces per lot. Low cost molds are exclusively available for small lot production less than 3,000pieces.
- Die/mold With our own die mold factory, we can make 70 die molds per month.We are dedicated to achieve short term delivery and to handle design changes at the lowest cost.
- Materials There is a wide range of applicable materials, including SCM, SKD, stelite, in addition to popular MIM materials(FeNi, stainless, etc.)
- Sintering Process High speed debinding and sintering is carried out to prevent change in quality and shape, using the most suitable condition for each material, such as vacuum environment, reduction atmosphere, inert atmosphere, and high pressure ambience.
- Post Processing Our integrated production system includes processes such as precision machining, heat treatment, plating, etc.
- Others Our MIM technology has been improving steadily, since all MIM processes has been developed in house. (Received a U.S. patent in 1991)
SUS304L / SUS316L / SUS630(17-4PH)/ SUS420J2 Structural
SCM415 / SNCM439 Tool
SKD11 / SKH57 Cemented
WC 10%Co Special
Kovar / Permalloy(Fe-42Ni) Titanium Pure titanium / 6Al-4V Titanium
Designs,Potential,andPracticality of MIM
- 1. Weight saving MIM is unsuitable to make thick-wall parts, however, cost reduction and quality improvement is expected by shape optimization.
Sharp corners and edges(above A) can be formed by MIM, but from the strength point of view, (B) is more preferred, and (C) is even more favorable.
- 3. Draft angles Draft angles are not essential for MIM. However in some cases, draft angles can reduce the production cost.
Potential and Practicality of MIM
1. Hole size
Hole diameter D(m/m)
0.1～0.3 10×D 0.3～1 20×D 1～3 30×D 3～ 40×D
- 2. Insert molding ecause MIM products have high dimensional accuracy, production cost can be reduced by insert molding with products made of different materials or different processing methods.
3. Gate position
Gate position Gate position is determined by the shape of the product and the partitioning of the mold.
- 1. Hole size